Sunday, November 1, 2009

Blog 3- Eva Olsson

On Monday morning the whole middle and high school listened to Eva Olsson, a holocaust survivor, talk to us about the horrors of being in the holocaust.
The one thing that Mrs. Olsson said to us that will stick with me for years to come is when she said that the word hate is a more powerful and dark expression than what we mean when we use it every day. She said that ninety-nine percent of the time we usually don't mean
hate, we instead mean dislike. The only time you should use hate is when something takes away everything close to you, as the Nazi soldiers did to her.
The thing that impacted me the most was when Mrs. Olssen told us that even though she was in the middle of a living hell, she still found hope to inspire her to survive. I thought and think that if I was ever in her position, I would never of had the courage to survive the horrors she had to go through. I mean, going on a boxcar on a train with so many other people in it there was hardly any room to breathe and having no food or water, and still having the courage to survive is simply unbelievable.
I had two questions that I have only recently thought of and that I wish I could've asked her. They are;
1 Did you have any friends that you made that might of helped you survive day-to-day while you were there?
2 What kind of work did you do while you were at the concentration camp? Make guns or ammunition? Make bricks?
I'm really glad that Eva Olsson came to talk to us because of how much it gave me to think about and how many things I learned about the Holocaust.

2 comments:

  1. great post! i totally agree that its amazing how she found the courage to survive. I don't think that i would have found the courage either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude i think that u get a lot of meaning into ur blogs.
    i like the way u used really big kid words and you made it sound all safisticated.you reflect very well and you describe your empathy for eva olsson. i understand what u were trying to say so i felt empathy for u feeling empathy for eva. you also mentioned the things eva taught us, which is good for people to read because they might not have seen the presentation.

    ReplyDelete