Sunday, May 9, 2010

2 is for 24


The most over-the-top thing ever made that isn't in any way connected to either Tim Burton or Quentin Tarantino. It's what gives you your weekly dose of action. What has nuclear bombs planted in Manhattan almost every season, and an agent who will stop at nothing to get what America wants. What other show can predict the next president ( at the beginning of the series a George Bush kind of president was the leader of the United States of America, then a black man became president just like Barrack Obama did. Currently, a woman is president in this awesome show ). The show I have just described follows an agent named Jack Bauer ( Kiefer Sutherland ) and that show is 24.
It began on November 6th, 2001, when the world was still in shock from the horrid events of 9/11. But this was a perfect opportunity for Joel Surnow to show the world what he was/is capable of. My guess is that he thought the world ( especially America ) would love a TV show about a James Bond-like, terrorist fighter. Obviously, it caught on. At the height of this series in season 5 ( in 2006 ) 13.78 million people on average watched it weekly in the U.S. alone.
There is a near infinite amount of reasons why I like this show: from its over-the-top filled episodes to the confusing, but action-filled, plots. But why I like it the most is because it occurs in real-time. The show is a hour long in our time, and 60 minutes there. Every season is 24 episodes ( hence the name) but is only one day in the show. This really helps me connect with the characters. You can really see how much pain they are going through as they try to take down the terrorists.
But this part of the show can also show the holes in the plot. I mean, in the current season ( season 8 ) , they stop a evil Russian mob group from smuggling nuclear rods into N.Y.C. Right when C.T.U. ( a private security company hired by the American government ) finds a dirty bomb in the middle of Manhattan, the companies headquarters gets hit by an electromagnetic pulse ( E.M.P. ) and all their electronics go down. But then Jack realizes that there is a double agent within C.T.U so he captures her and begins to torture her until she gives him the location of the bomb. They then find it and disarm it with only 5 seconds to spare. After the investigation, they find out that the Russian government was behind the bombings, but the president decides not to accuse them because that would mean that the peace deal between them, the I.R.K, and the Russians would be off. When Jack realizes how they're planning not to accuse the Russians, he goes rouge and tries to find the terrorists. I know how that sounds crazy enough to happen in one season, but since each episode is in real-time, that means that all of the above happened in just one day!
I really like this show, even though the holes in the plot. Whenever I realize how crazy the storyline is, I stop and think to myself and say, You know what Michael, I don' t watch this show because of the plot. I watch it because of how much action there is and how over-the-top it is. And I do think I'm right when I say that, that I don't care about the storyline, only about the action.
That's 24 for you, and I promise you that you will NEVER find anything quite like this.

Life Lesson: Only look at the good things in this world, and ignore the bad things.

I commented on Rowena's blog about Life!

1 comment:

  1. I really thought that your blog was great and I thought that you described and explained our topic very well. I like your opinion and I agree on everything.Great post Micheal.

    ReplyDelete