Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Future


The future. It's a funny thought. Websters dictionary defines it as: Time regarded as still to come. People talk so much about the future, even though there is no way we can really connect to it. Sure, some people claim they can predict the future via magic, but do you really believe them? Of course not, as they have no proof of their beliefs. Thats's what I'm talk about today: the future and what it really means.

Personally, I don't get why people think about the future so much. There are two common phrases: If you look too far ahead of yourself, you'll trip over your own feet, and, Carpe Diem ( Latin for seize the day ). That is one of my favourite sayings, and a rule I live by. I think that you can get through life by just thinking about the present, better than always worrying about how todays decisions will effect you tomorrow. I get that sometimes you have to make sure you don't do some things that will have a massive effect in your life tomorrow, but I don't think that in general you should worry about how your decisions will later effect you.

One of the things I don't like about this world is how people try to get you to believe that they can predict your future. I guess some people could get really convinced that they can really predict the future via two ways: magic or science/math. Some countries people are convinced that they can tell the future by using special cards, or a magic ball. I understand that it is possible for you to get convinced that they can really predict the future if by coincidence the 'magic' works and correctly predicts your future. The one thing I don't get how you can believe that math and/or science can predict your future. This is all based on past events, and how there might be a pattern to life and that what happens on Earth has a purpose, and what happens is not random. I do believe that their is no pattern to life, and these people are 100% mislead. I have a good example of this: around 20 years ago N.A.S.A. sent a capsule with the song Across The Universe by the Beatles across the universe. But when Stephen Hawking heard about this, he began to fret that they had doomed the Earth. He claimed that he had somehow found a way to predict that N.A.S.A.'s capsule had angered advanced aliens and that our world was doomed to extinction. And we're not dead yet.

So that's what I think of the future, a random time that there is no way to connect to, and is pointless to look to for answers.

I commented on Marcus' blog on Basketball.

No comments:

Post a Comment